.Derek started performing at a very young age and when he was about 10 years old even started competing in the Latin-American dance competitions in New York and LA. That why he met Shirley and Corky Ballas, the well known Latin dance Champions. He then moved to London to train with them and they became a family, their son, Mark Ballas becoming Derek’s best friend, a friend that Derek calls a brother. In London, Derek went to Italia Conti Arts Center alongside his younger sister, Julianne and Mark Ballas. He continued his training in a broad spectrum of skills, from dance to music and theater. In London’s West End, Derek found a new platform for his talent, a platform that he used well by taken all the opportunities that came his way. Derek turned those opportunities in carrier’s steps. And those steps are the ones we listed below:
- Jesus Christ Superstar (2004) – A rock opera show. Derek had the lead as Jesus Christ in an amateur production at Millfield Theatre of London.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2005) – Musical based on the same titled film of 1968. Derek was part of the ensemble cast. The musical was his West End debut.
- Footloose (2006) – Derek’s debut as lead actor in the role of Ren McCormack in West End. The musical is an adaptation of the 1984 film Footloose.
- Burn the Floor (2010) – A dance show and Derek’s Broadway debut at the Longacre Theater as a replacement dancer.
- New York Spring Spectacular (2015) – An off-Broadway show that takes you a tour in New York City. Derek plays Jack, the male lead of the show.
Except from the theater performances, Derek and his sister, Julianne, created their own live tour along with other talented dancers, named it MOVE Live on Tour and all together they toured the country.
The first tour was in 2014 and a second one followed the summer of 2015. They promised that more things were coming and they kept their promise. After taking a break for one year, they came back for a third tour that was…beyond!
Click the links below to see pictures, videos and more.