Derek is an artist that loves to invest his time, energy and creativity in different events that raise awareness of a great cause.
Below we are trying to gather Derek’s involvement in various charities, events and other great causes.
- Dunk for a cure (October 2011, 2013 & 2014) – Celebrities get dunked on The Ellen Show to gather money for the research on breast cancer. As Ellen said: “Breast Cancer Awareness Month is not over until Derek Hough gets wet!” 😉
- Sophie’s place – Forever Young Foundation (2013 & June 8, 2015) – Sophie’s places are dedicated music therapy facilities built in children’s hospitals. Derek was present at the opening in Salt Lake City, Utah and along with Julianne, they were present at the opening on Phoenix, Arizona.
- Bust a move (February 15 & 22, 2014) – Community fundraiser celebrating positive advancements for breast health.
- ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (June 2014) – ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was a social media event meant to raise awareness of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Many celebrities joined the movement along with more than 17 million people. The challenge became the world’s largest global social media phenomenon.
- Love in for kids (November 21, 2014) – Charity event benefiting the Hawn Foundation’s “MindUp Program Transforming Children’s Lives For Greater Success”.
- Great Gatsby (November 29, 2014) – Themed and dance fundraiser dinner for the Parade of Homes at Kings’ Chapel hosted by Derek Hough. An event meant to support the tour and benefit Make-A-Wish Middle Tennessee.
- Prizeo contest (March 5, 2015) – An auction for a dance lesson with Derek, supporting the American Repertory Theater
- Cause for Hope – One life at a Time (February 25, 2016) – Derek supports one of his favorite charities speaking on its behalf on Huffington Post
- Red Dress Breakfast (March 4, 2016) – Derek was the guest speaker for the event
- Dancers Against Cancer (May 2016) – Derek teams up with the organization to support dancers impacted by cancer
- Ping Pong 4 a Purpose (August 11, 2016) – Derek attends the Clayton Kershaw’s 4th Annual Ping Pong 4 Purpose Celebrity Tournament
- “Give” (November 12, 2016) – Derek hosts an episode of the NBC Show “Give”, donating money to non-profit organization.
- TIA Treasure boxes (December 2016) – Derek partners with TIA Girl Club and creates treasure boxes to empower tweens